We have barred divers in the past from diving but,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RobertM on July 05, 2001 at 12:46:51:

In Reply to: Examples of divers barred at the dock? posted by e-shark on July 05, 2001 at 11:30:22:

For lost or forgotten certifications we will do everything we can to get verification. The I have divers barred in the past were signed on for a night dives and were days old new divers.

Once on board we may have one of the Dive Masters or an available instructor do a dive with an individual just as a security blanket. We also have many Instructors teaching classes willing to add a new diver to the group when diver to instructor ratio allows.

This past weekend was a good example. We had a diver with 7 dives. He was diving with some friends; however, he wanted to work on his skills before setting off with them. We had a rescue diver (crew member) available to send down with him as a tour guide. On the surface I reviewed some basic skills and reminded him of the simple things like, checking air, returning with a good reserve, if he surfaces for any reason look toward the boat and signal of he is OK, start the dive into the current and so on. The Crewmember as his buddy then went for a dive with him as a guide. This gave the diver an added comfort level and a chance to have things pointed out that he might not have noticed.

Everything went slow and easy (we had great conditions) and the diver returned after a dive to 40+ FSW for over 45 Minutes with a smile from ear to ear. He had a good dive and felt good about his skills. He continued to dive the remainder of the day with his friends.

This is an approach we try to take when applicable. It makes for happy (return business) divers and a much safer day.

I only wish that more new divers would ask for assistance then make an attempt and result in us having to tow them back from down current.

Robert M

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]