Re: The correct reason to use a descent line ...

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on July 17, 2001 at 23:08:11:

In Reply to: The correct reason to use a descent line ... posted by Bill Johnson on July 17, 2001 at 18:58:58:

** I see x-brand instructors using buoys, even on boat dives instead of the anchor line, all the time. I see this happening for all dives, not just the first two. **

I will set an ascent line even when there is an anchor line. For example we will use the anchor line for our dive # 1 descent and ascent. When a CESA is done the instructor uses it as a emergency brake and to allow the student to have a visual reference. When we do our free descents, it is done as a blue water descent, and the line is primarily used for ascents.

From my personal point of view, it is easier for students to gain control of their buoyancy with a nearby reference point. The line in the water near them is a good way for them to "see" how they are doing rather than trying to see small changes on their depth guage. For example it is much easier to hover a few feet away from a line than in middle of blue water. Those of us who have done bluewater safety stops by hovering at 15-20 fsw will attest to the advantage of finding something in the water to watch.

As far as pulling up and down, on Dive 1 & 2 the anchor line is used to slow the group. If I am in the front of the group, I will be setting a slow pace to make sure that everybody gets the ears cleared and stays as a group. If we have a problem ear on the line, we all stop and hang around while it gets cleared. When we use the ascent line, we are not having students pull themselves up or down. They must do this with buoyancy and/or their fins.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]