Re: Explanation of *on the fly computing* - LONG

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on July 19, 2001 at 19:38:03:

In Reply to: Re: Explanation of *on the fly computing* - LONG posted by MHK on July 19, 2001 at 17:24:00:

I’m sorry Mike. I had the mistaken impression that what you were giving us was considered some classified DIR-eyes-only, top-secret stuff. My misunderstanding.

>>”We were told ad nauseam that we can't do it, then when we show you how we're told it's been around since the dawn of time..”

Just to set the record straight, I never said you couldn’t do it.

>>”We've presented a position that indicates that you can do recreational diving without a computer and I just showed you how to do it...”

I didn’t know you were just claiming that diving could be done without a computer. Of course I agree with that. I mean, I dove without one for, what, almost 20 years. I completely agree it can be done, I’m merely saying I prefer the convenience/accuracy of the computer.

Now, as to your question, am I accurate to within ~200psi as to what my pressure is at all times during my dive? Yes.

Is it because I planned the dive beforehand? No, not every one. Is it because I calculated my consumption rate and average depth? Not usually; besides, my consumption rates vary depending on workload way more than they should – I’m not in as good a shape as I was 20+ years ago (which means I better just give up diving 'cause I'll never be DIR). The reason I know what my pressure is, is because I just know. I don’t know if it’s past experience or what, but I’m never off much.

Does that mean I would dive without an SPG? Not if I had a choice.

Could I dive without a computer? Yes, but I’d rather have one.

Now answer me this, (I couldn't tell from the Uwatec website) does your bottom-timer calculate average depth for you?

I'm sure you'll be busy Sun., but I hope we can talk more out at Catalina.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]