Re: Explanation of *on the fly computing* - LONG

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andrew Georgitsis on July 20, 2001 at 11:05:50:

In Reply to: Re: Explanation of *on the fly computing* - LONG posted by MHK on July 19, 2001 at 17:24:00:

I think that all of you miss the entire point of this "Average depth and time exercise". Whether you use a computer or you use a bottom timer is not the point. It's not in the numbers or the 20% EAD advantage that's new. It is none of this. The point of this is to turn on your brain when you dive. Don't rely on some computer (that is built for the one time diver) or some other piece of equipment. You need to be aware of what is happening at all times during the dive. You need to be focused on your gas, depth, time and direction. Divers have a strange thing happen when they hit the water. Their brains turnoff. They start doing the stupid stuff. They become forgetful and lose track and that is when an accident happens. All these exercise's do is train you to start using your brain underwater. Turn it on and start becoming aware of where you are, how deep you are, how long you have been at that depth, what your average is and what your pressure should be. By having this keen awarness and practicing it then no matter what happens you will be able to deal with it.

It funny when I teach people and at the end of the dive I ask them questions about stuff, like - at what pressure did we turn, at what time, depth and surrounding landmarks did we turn? The answer is always the same - UH. That's what this whole point of DIR and GUE training, it is getting you to learn to start using your brains while diving and not relying on your computer to do all the work.

Andrew

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]