Re: Florida wreck reefs - why not some of our own?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Subarch on July 22, 2001 at 14:04:53:

In Reply to: Florida wreck reefs - why not some of our own? posted by AADIVER on July 21, 2001 at 21:47:03:

Actually, Frank there are several reasons. probably first and formost, Florida's economy is based to a large extent on tourism, and except for the mouse thing in Orlando, most of that tourism is water based. Many of the vessels you dumped onto the board are deeper water fish gathering reefs for sportfishing and I suppose commercial operations. They are beyond the reach of most sane divers. Some of the Tekie divers on rebreathers, and tri-mix are visiting some of the deep water wrecks, but they aren't a major diving tourist draw.
California, on the other hand has a diverse economy the pressure or need for additional isn't preceived by the state. As far as sinking vessels (and other stuff) for artificial reefs, after the sinking of the PALAWAN the Calif. Dept. of Fish & Game decided that liability-wise and longivity-wise, quarried rock and construction rubble was the way to go. They have stuck with that rather narrow view for the last 30 some odd years. The last attempt to sink a vessel with the state's grudging blessing was the PRINCESS LOUISE, and I'm sure you are very familiar with why that was FUBAR'd.
Then there is the cost. I'm sure you were tapped to support the costs generated in the sinking of the HMCS YUKON (a private endeavor, by the way). The State of Florida, and some very well endowed non-profits pay the freight on their sinkings.
Bottom line: Florida and the powerful tourist lobby care about such things, California doesn't.
And next time, Frank, instead of downloading pages of "stuff" perhaps just provide a URL.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]