It is actually worse than I posted

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Johnson on July 25, 2001 at 13:12:28:

In Reply to: the math you used failed to include..... posted by JohnB on July 25, 2001 at 11:47:59:

JohnB,

"the instructor does NOT spend 8 hours with the students"

True, while the instructor does not spend 8 hours diving with the students (much less acutually - more like one hour per day), my point was regarding instructor / shop income. In order for the instructor to spend one hour diving with his students, he has to spend at least 8 hours in drive time, boat time, surface interavel time, preparation time, etc. I used 8 hours to help determine a dollar per hour figure. My point is that there is a disincentive for instructors to spend more than the minimum PADI required time with the students.

You bring up a great point though: instructor time with the student is actually WORSE than I eluded to.

Another point I did not make in my first post is that even though I came up with $10 per hour, for many instructors, that $10 per hour is ONLY during specific limited times, NOT 8 hours per day, 5 days per week! Even if hours were steady, that would only be $80 per day! I for one wouldn't want to be trained by an $80 per day instructor in life support.

One can't expect top notch training from a mediocre income instructor.

Some questions for you:

You said, "5 x 5 = 25 x 10 = 250" but there are no unit labels. I assume you meant 5 students x 5 classes = 25 students x $10 = $250? Correct?

How many instructors? Two (you and one other)? If so, did one of you do two classes and the other do three classes?

Regards,

Bill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]