Oxygen hacker's Companion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by roakey on August 15, 2001 at 12:58:52:

In Reply to: O2 cleaning posted by Maciek on August 15, 2001 at 03:24:23:

I'm sure it has been mentioned on this board before, but if you're interested the least bit in mixing or just want to know more about mixing I highly recommend the Oxygen Hacker's Companion by Vance Harlow.

Order it from:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/

It will demystify the mixing process and make you an informed Nitrox buyer so you’ll know when the shop is telling you the truth vs. telling you voodoo stories to justify rip-off prices.

If you want to mix yourself, cultivate a good relationship with a shop and do everything above the board -- let them know you want to bring in spiked cylinders and that you want air blown on top. Scratch each other’s backs -- my shop knows that if they run out of O2 at an inconvenient time they only have to call me up and I’ll run one of my cylinders down to ‘em.

If your shop wants you to have a mixing “badge” carefully study the OHC, then take either the TDI or IANTD mixing course in order to get your badge. Where TDI or IANTD information disagrees with the OHC, believe the OHC.

When I took the IANTD mixing course a couple years ago the text was so bad that my buddy scubaturek said, and I quote, “If I had handed this in as a paper in school I would have flunked.” He wasn’t joking in the least.

As you poke around the Airspeed Press page you’ll also find books on dive lights, regulator maintenance and gas boosters. Another good quote from scubaturek: “Anything airspeed press publishes is worth buying.”

Roak

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]