Using "a degreaser like 409 or Simple Green"

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on August 15, 2001 at 18:45:46:

In Reply to: Re: O2 cleaning posted by MHK on August 15, 2001 at 10:44:17:

I gotta tell you that this line bothers me.

I would never use 409 and I am not sure if i woudl use Simple Green. I would not use some unknown degreaser 'like' them without knowing more about them.

O2 cleaning is taken seriously by many industries. There are cleaning agents especially rated for use in cleaning metals for oxygen service. You need to insure that the cleaning agent has REMOVED the oils and they are completely carried away from the tank. You need to ensure that the residue left behind is compatible with breathing gas under hyperbaric conditions.

I have seen tubing made from 316L stainless steel that ignited and burned. That's right folks, stainless steel burns in the presence of high pressure oxygen. Dealing with oxygen at high pressure is something to be taken seriously. Fortunately the pressures usually used in blending is low enough that it usually does not present serious problems, but the risk is real.

If you are not an expert, leave it up to the experts. If you choose to use chemical cleaners to clean your tank, select a cleaning agent designed and approved for the purpose. And make sure that the rinse methd is sufficient for the job. I would use D.I. water and not tap water, for example. Maybe I am a bit anal, but I know how dangerous oxygen can be and I always fear accidental contamination of tanks from improper cleaning techniques.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]