Re: Definition of "unnecessary" gear?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on August 27, 2001 at 15:13:35:

In Reply to: Re: Definition of "unnecessary" gear? posted by MHK on August 27, 2001 at 14:11:28:

"The snorkel is a waste of money, is unecessary and to the extent that you find yourself needing a snorkel more than once it may be time to think about a navigation class.. But I agree with your solution, which is to save enough gas to surface, take a bearing and drop back down and return to the boat...Accordingly, leave the snorkel nailed to the garage wall ;-)"

Mike, you didn't understand my post. Yeah, I'll take a bearing and drop back down if I'm stupid enough to find myself down current from the boat. But with no current and no gas in my tank I would prefer to fin back to the boat on my stomach using my 15 year old 10 buck snorkel, not on my back.
As to fins, I much prefer the smaller size of the FF's to the XL's in tight OE wreck penetration situations.
There's a maximum "hull speed" to the human body regardless the fin, and from fin to fin, cheap or expensive, there's a negligable difference in speed. Differences exist mainly in acceleration and comfort. IMHO ;-) (That's honest, not humble)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]