Re: Standards message in a bottle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI Diver on August 28, 2001 at 14:37:53:

In Reply to: Standards message in a bottle posted by Bill Johnson on August 28, 2001 at 14:17:44:

Bill,
you make a very good point. I am not convinced that over 50% of TDI Instructors
are quality and teach quality programs.

As a matter of fact I think that TDI has made some of the same business related mistakes that GUE is making today.
But my point is that my personal experience with TDI has been that when they are advised of a standards violation they take
action against the instructor, not how good the standards are or are not. I frankly agree that TDI standards are to loose and that
they leave it up to the instructor to make up the difference between what is left in and out of a paticular course. This works fine providing you have instructors
that have experience and some way to *police* the program. TDI does have some good instructors, I've had one, infact he *turned in* my old instructor for violating
standards. That instructor can no longer certify students and TDI paid for my new instructor so that I recieved *good* information.

I'm not trying to say that GUE would not have done the same thing under the same circumstances, I can't make that judugement I haven't been there with GUE.
I made my choice based upon the amount of crap I would put up with as a GUE diver and based upon my (second) instructors experience and qualifications, as I said before
I dive the DIR equipment config, so did the TDI instructor I finally used for the most part, because it works.
But don't mis-understand I am also very much aware that a lot of the *DIR* equipment config was not *invented* buy GUE they simply put together a lot of good ideas and frankly
came up with a good workable solution that is adaptable to most any situation.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]