mea culpa, Cabo...(+)

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on September 05, 2001 at 10:45:43:

In Reply to: Never, ever, ever had ANY skin DCS problem with wrist mounts posted by Cabo on September 05, 2001 at 10:25:21:

I think it was I who was brought up skin crispies.
On a yucatan cave diving trip, I had just talked to Paul Heinreth, who mentioned his wife Jill had gotten skin bent from bike shorts.

After he left, I showed the other guys we were talking with how "smart" I was by cutting off the hems on the legs to prevent bends on my bike shorts I wear under a wetsuit. (Cave dive wetsuits in Mexico, dry in CA :-)

On the very next dive, at depth with a camera/strobe set up the size of a scooter, I looked at my bottom timer which had spun around. Since i had a camera setup, it was a bitch to try and rectify, so first chance I handed off the camera and 'cranked' down the strap. This was at about 90ffw.

After deco, and upon surfacing, my hand/wrist hurt, then was numb and getting pretty crispy. I went on 100% 02 for a while, dreading a chamber ride in Playa. Luckily, symptoms disappeared after a while on the 02.

Even though I know better, I still did the dumb thing and created skin bends. Of course I created bad karma by talking trash about another diver, so that is my excuse!

So, I take full responsibility for adding 'Skin Bends' to the wrist strap at depth thread.

Take care,
Daryl
Your neighbor, I think!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]