Re: Proper OOA/comments

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 05, 2001 at 13:41:59:

In Reply to: Re: Proper OOA/comments posted by Ken Kurtis on September 05, 2001 at 12:01:17:

I just re-read you rpost and since I know you don't do much OE diving or training I won't be too harsh on this comment that you wrote:

even if the OOA diver didn't know the way out, why can't the rescuing diver grab the BC chest strap and drag the OOA behind?

Let's see where do I begin????

1) While in OE's you should be using doubles and as such you will donate your primary regulator which has it's post on your right side. The reason the OOA diver leads is that in the event you hit the ceiling the right post can't roll off only the left post can, which is what you'll be breathing from.. You'll know it because you'll get no gas. Accordingly you reach back and turn your post on..

If the sitiation is reversed you just shut of teh gas for the OOA diver, and he's out of gas again, and you may not know...

Also, while in OE's there are many restrictions that you'll need to navigate through which may preclude a side by side exit.. If the OOA diver is being dragged behind you it's possible that you could pull the reg from his mouth and you'll be on the other side of the restriction.. That would be deadly...

Let's not get too far off track, but trust me in OE's you gotta have this stuff down or you're dead...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]