Re: Proper OOA/comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on September 05, 2001 at 12:01:17:

In Reply to: Re: Proper OOA/comments posted by MHK on September 05, 2001 at 09:51:42:

Some semi-quick thoughts:

(Mike wrote): "You're making progress, now let's see if we can't get you over the last few hurdles ;-)"

It's not that I'm making progress. It's that you're finally understanding what I've been saying for 20 years. :)

Perception of movement is relative.

(Mike also wrote): " . . . let's assume that this situation happened in the Yukon, you now have a situation that will require during the *command* decision that you BOTH know the way out . . ."

That's NOT an recreational dive as it involves OHE and penetrating a wreck. Since it seems that the vast majority of the people here dive recreationally, I don't think the Yukon scenario applies, nor does it parallel the Farnsworth problem, where a direct ascent to the surface was possible.

And actually (back to the Yukon), even if the OOA diver didn't know the way out, why can't the rescuing diver grab the BC chest strap and drag the OOA behind?

(Finally, Mike wrote): " . . . you get the signal back because the OOA diver will be the lead . . ."

Although I realize this may be standard cave or DIR practice, I personally think this is a terrible idea, especially translated to the recreational community.

While it certainly addresses the practical problem of being in a narrow space (cave, tunnel, wreck, etc.) where SOMEONE has to be first and the other person has to follow, if the situation goes south again and the guy bolts, you've got no shot - or at best a reduced chance - of grabbing him before he gets away when you're behind him (let alone 7' ro so on a long hose) . I don't have a better answer for those who might find themselves in this position but, to me, this is ALL the more reason not to go into these places in the first place.

That being said, I still feel there's too much assumption that once the OOA diver has air, he'll calm down and everything will return to normal. That's certainly NOT the record with recreational OOA divers, and I don't personally believe this can simply be hung on the heels of poorly-trained divers. Some of this is just primal human nature, and that urge may override any amount of training you've received.

The bottom line to all this is . . . this hypothetical OOA guy just made the colossal BAD decision (assuming no equipment failure) of not monitoring his air supply. Why on earth would we assume that once we re-supply air, this same person will immediately start making GOOD decisions?

The other point, well-made previously, is that this is all speculative on everyone's part. Find a system that you think will work for you and do the best you can if the need arises.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]