Re: Over filling tanks

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on October 22, 2001 at 22:40:37:

In Reply to: Over filling tanks posted by Captain Tim on October 22, 2001 at 18:11:56:

How about a couple of views.
I've done a lot of sorta hazardous things for fun and profit. It's usually not hard to get away with it... if you are always careful, but if you do hazardous things regularly AND break the rules of safety, it's gonna catch up with you. As Tim mentioned, he fills more tanks in a month than many shops do in a year. It might not get an individual, but fool around under those conditions and the numbers catch you either by disaster or law.
Then there is simple courtesy. it seems to be rare these days. I always weedle as good a fill as I can get, but it's about having fun. Not being a jerk or putting somebody on the spot... Besides, that crew was amazingly helpful.
There is one other factor on a boat. I've been around boats for a while and have some very ingrained habits on a boat including rule one. The Captain is the undisputed boss on boat. Your survival could depend on that and his authority must be unquestioned. Simple. If not, you don't belong on the boat. I have given Dive Masters a bad time, but I never give dissent to the Captain. They have too much responsibility. Almost anywhere else, the buck can be passed on, but not on a boat. If you don't respect the Captain, you don't respect the sea.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]