Re: in addition, deep stops on NitrOx help whereas deep air stops hurt

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on November 07, 2001 at 11:12:49:

In Reply to: in addition, deep stops on NitrOx help whereas deep air stops hurt posted by Karl S. on November 07, 2001 at 10:46:27:

Posted by Karl S. on November 07, 2001 at 10:46:27:

good anaysis of the issue of NitrOx vs Air diving, MikeK. you left out the part about the benefit of deep NitrOx stops vs Air in that case. MsBlucow did a deep air stop, relatively deep, for her, for her dive, and since she was past NDL it may very well have made things worse, whereas if she had been using NitrOx there could have been a benefit to the "deep stop."

Karl,

I discussed deep stops in an earlier post but let me correct something that I think that you misunderstand about our view of the incorporation of deep stops..

Most tables, and most computer models, base their algorithms on the Buhlman studies, and as such it is a tissue loading concept. SUch concept suggests that by incorporating deep stops a diver is actually still * on-gassing* wheil he/she is doing a deep stop...

We believe that Buhlman ignores [ by his own admission] the other way to get a DCI hit [ ie; bubble formation].. We incorporate deep stops into our profile not so much to allow tissue off-gassing [ although that is a part of it], but we do it to allow the bubbles extra time to shrink..

What I was trying to stay focused on in my analysis of prevention is that by using the right gas for the job, given that we had the exact profile, I was trying to illuminate that on the one hand you have a diver exceeding the recomended NDL on air with the resulting chamber ride and if she changed nothing else other then her mix, she would have been 5 minutes away from her NDL's and would likely not have suffered a hit..

And for anyone to suggest that I'm swinging at Ken just isn't true.. He took the first shot saying that I'm the pot calling the kettle black and I'm simply pointing out FACTS, and the fact that Ken is dead wrong and his logic is spin and misdirection because of his anti-Nitrox views..

I'm staying on the facts, and the facts clearly support the conclusion that she would have been safer using Nitrox and Ken has yet to offer anything supportive of his position, except to say, that * we will never know* and * it's speculation* and so on..

I'll take a dive within NDL limits anyday over a dive that violates NDL limits and I won't hide behind it's speculative that one is safer then the other...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]