Re: ARRAGGGGAH! I got bent! or did I?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on November 07, 2001 at 17:12:56:

In Reply to: ARRAGGGGAH! I got bent! or did I? posted by George Austin on November 07, 2001 at 14:34:50:

George Austin wrote: "Well, after going thru all the threads on the possible dci hit that msblucow took, I'e got a few questions. As well as a couple observations. Questions 1) Would'nt the physical condition of the victim be relative to the discussion, e.g. static HR/BP SAC. none of that was provided in the original post."

My blood pressure was measured at 130/100 - which is a little high for me (usually 120/80) and my 'resting' pulse rate was around 90 (again a little high for me, my true resting pulse rate is in the high 60's). I have no known heart condition.

"I don't know her, but doesn't it seem like this dive was, in fact, beyond her limitations? e.g. An unfamiliar location, deeper than 60fsw, deep diving on 21, Holding a camera, unfamiliar buddy, All these set off red flags and collision alarms, to me anyway."

Although the dive was a bit beyond my normal drill, I have made numerous and enjoyable dives in the 90-100 fsw range without incident. I am often paired with unfamilliar buddies since my husband is a non-diver. Although it is my preference to dive with a buddy who observes DIR protocol, I find a good, detailed conversation pre-dive to be an effective way to deal with the situation. Doing a deeper dive should not preclude me from handling a camera (something I'm very comfortable with), but I no longer think using a camera on my first deep dive to an unfamilliar location is a good idea.

"She had problems during the dive (lost descent line, lost buddy, violation of NDL) as well as symptoms doffing her gear (tingly extremities) AND headed straight to the berthing compartment with apparently sub clinical fatigue AND said nothing to the diving supervisor. Said nothing until the pins and needles got to the point where she believed she indeed had taken a hit."

I did not lose my buddy during the dive - he was always within visual contact - even when I went the wrong way to find the anchor line. All I had to do was turn around and I saw him.

I did not head down to the berth because I was fatigued, I went down because I was cold and wanted to warm up under the blankets. I said nothing to Ken at this point because I didn't know I had a problem - it wasn't until later, after I warmed up but still was experiencing numbness, that I first realized there was something else going on. In hindsight, I believe that the first twinge I felt earlier was a symptom, but at the time I mistook it for just being cold.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]