DAN insurance and out-of-pocket expenses

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on November 07, 2001 at 21:20:30:

Ed L. says in a somewhat lower message here:

> Of course I carry DAN. You just never know.
>
> Marta, did you have insurance for this? If so
> were there any out of pocket expenses?

As Marta indicates the answer is no (out of pocket expenses), but there are a couple of interesting wrinkles with DAN insurance that other divers might be interested to know about.

I got DAN Preferred insurance a year ago, and have used it twice when I've seen dive doctors for dive-related injuries. Two interesting factoids:

-- The insurance is secondary to whatever other medical insurance you have. Although the coverage (at least under the Preferred plan) is very complete, you have to go through the motions of having the claim submitted to your primary medical insurance first. So I ended up receiving a flurry of notices in the mail from Kaiser Permanente saying "This is an uncovered expense" before the clinics were able to get reimbursed through DAN's carrier.

-- Last year when I saw a dive doctor in Mexico, he asked me what dive shop I was diving with when I experienced the injury. When I asked him why he asked, he said, "The shop you were diving with is part of our network. If they hadn't been part of our network, we would have had to put our charges on your credit card before you leave the country and then let you seek reimbursement from DAN."

Something else to check out the next time you dive in the tropics!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]