Re: deco on air worthless?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on November 08, 2001 at 17:45:04:

In Reply to: Re: Misunderstanding what I say posted by MHK on November 07, 2001 at 13:44:46:

Mike, why is a few minutes at 15' on air 'virtually worthless?'

On the NAUI or Navy tables, when you slightly exceed the NDL the proceedure is 5 or 10 minutes of a mandatory stop at 15', rather than a voluntary safety stop. That does suggest that more time at 15-20 has benefit even on air.

Now back to Ken:
When we talked about this in the past, I asked about the situation in which a nitrox diver got bent using air because you won't allow it on your charters. We're getting closer to that outcome. Marta intends to start diving with nitrox. As acceptance of enriched oxygen mixtures continues to grow, I think you put yourself in a precarious legal position, esp when you continue to allow other potentially risky choices such as solo diving.

I think Mike is right to be all over you on this incident, because gas choice *could* have been the difference, and your store has made the decision for the divers. Choices like that should be made by the divers, not by you (or Mike for that matter re: soloing).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]