Re: Cert. Cards - I normally don't get into the frail, but

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Johnson on November 20, 2001 at 10:16:37:

In Reply to: Re: Cert. Cards - I normally don't get into the frail, but posted by finfan on November 20, 2001 at 08:41:51:

FinFan,

I am not arguing about basic open water diving; I am arguing about advanced diving. It looks like I am going to have to recap to you the same thing I had to reason with Chris. The majority agrees that most open water training is watered down. Why? Because new divers aren't convinced they will like diving enough to be committed to an open water course that is equivalent to a NAUI Master Diver course. Capitalism has dictated that scuba education be sold in pieces instead of a huge chunk. Many divers dive tropically once a year or two and are happy with only doing 60' open water dives during the day. Other new divers quickly realize that their limited open water training is not enough to satisfy their needs to dive at a more advanced level, so they continue their diver education; this is personal responsibility.

You seem to have followed this same logic yourself by obtaining Advanced Open Water training in 1975, two years after your basic training.

Farnsworth is an advanced site, no matter how you slice it. Farnsworth is in deep open ocean. Currents can come up there at any time. The boat could get drug off the pinnacle. That you have survived twenty dives there is a testament to your luck, AOW training, years of experience and self-educating. Open Water training does not in any way qualify or prepare a diver to deal with the multitude of scenarios this location could subject a diver to. I can't believe that you are arguing that just because someone has an Open Water card, captains should take him or her there.

You are very naïve if you think that your Open Water training qualified you to dive any depth in any environment, or that you couldn't benefit from mixed gas.

You are also naive if you don't think that captains don't police people's dives regularly. How? They park the boat in shallow water.

Regards,

Bill

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]