Squid Report

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by c2cDiver on December 07, 2001 at 23:35:18:

There back!!! Or, most likely they never left. Just came back from diving Redondo Canyon (Veterns Park). Lots of birds sitting on the water, and boats with squid lights on. Hit the water at 8:30 pm. Swimming on the surface, just before the drop off, I notice strange shapes in the water (I like to swim out without light off, why burn batteries when I can enjoy the bioluminese), I turn on my video lights and see many small stingrays flying about. We drop down, and decend down the dropoff. At he bottom (60'), I see the, now huge, egg masses and lots of squid. At 65' there were thousands of squid. My video lights probably helped bring them in. I was kneeling on the bottom and never seen bottom, too many squid in the way. It was squid soup. I sat there for 30 minutes and let the camera roll. My buddy started getting cold and we slowly headed up the drop off. I kept my video lights on. A large group of squid followed us into 15' of water!

The Santana's are blowing, the water is flat and vis was good. A little stirred up by all the squid though. One strange happening, a boat above us must have drop a 'seal bomb' to spook the seals. At first I thought my buddy, our myself blew a high pressure hose, which is odd at the middle of a dive. Eerie feeling when that went off overhead and all you can see in any direction is squid.

You gotta go and do it. It is happening now! For the price of gas and an airfill, you can't beat the experiance. And, please tell us about it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]