Maybe I slept through that lecture. Can you help me?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on December 18, 2001 at 17:55:17:

In Reply to: Use your real name or my e-mail addy so I can see who I'm talking to. posted by George Austin on December 18, 2001 at 08:40:55:

You said...
"Some people disable the burst disk thinking that if they fill this bottle to say 4,500 psi,that they're increasing the volume of air directly proportional to the psi increase during the duration of the fill. This is idiocy and I've got the engineering degree to prove it."

Maybe I am wrong, but I always thought an SCF was an SCF and will always be an SCF. And when we see how many molecules we can cram into a place, the pressure comes from all them little molecules banging into each other and the container walls. And then there is this pressure & volume thing that Boyle gave us and that guy Ideal Gas and his law...

So my questions for you, so that I might become smart:

You said "there is only a finite amount of gas that will fit into a limited area", is this because it will cease to be a gas or because of some population control within the gas laws?

How much gas in SCF can I fit into a limited area of, oh say a cubic foot? What pressure will it be at when I reach that finite state and not a single extra molecule can be stuffed in?

Or were you inferring that the gas will be hot during the fill and needs to return to some ambient temperature before we can consider it to be a stable volume based on container size and pressure?

Maybe I went to the wrong school, or got the wrong kind of engineering degree, but I am confused. Please teach me.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]