Steve: Yes and No.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on December 20, 2001 at 16:02:12:

In Reply to: Re: Old Tank Disposal? posted by Steve on December 20, 2001 at 13:35:33:

Sorry if I gave that impression, Steve -

I used to work for a dive shop that "forgot" to return valves to the owners when their tank failed hydro (unless the customer specifically asked for it back). The valve eventually ended up as spare parts in the repair room or as replacements for the old wing-nut valves or damaged valves. Also, there was a period of time when folks wanted K valves to replace the old J valves that used to be the preferred valve for cylinders. Of course, these valves were "re-sold" for profit, cash transaction preferable so it didn't have to be reported as income.

Needless to say, I work for much more reputable institutions now. But there is some money to be made there if you get enough of them - lots of folks don't know it. One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Even if the steel or aluminum is not worth much, there is a pound or two of brass in every chrome plated valve, and that can add up if you get enough of them. And if you have 100# of brass, you can pocket enough under the table $$ to make it worth a trip to the scrap yard.

Does a valve from a failed cylinder have much value by itself? Probably not for most folks. But it will have value to someone, and the original owner should be aware of this and be given the option to sell/trade it for something that they may find valuable.

Because of my bad experience with one bad egg, I tend to be suspicious when some offers to "do me a favor" and take care of "disposing" something for me.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]