Re: Sounds like a pain to use

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary on January 03, 2002 at 07:46:35:

In Reply to: Sounds like a pain to use posted by Wayne on January 02, 2002 at 16:14:16:

I agree that there might be a few good uses for this. But what a pain.

As to people becoming reliant on them, well that happens with almost every new tech advance. I doubt if many (any) ocean going commercial ships still use sextants (except as novelty). During my second enlistment (95-01’) I always used the GPS. Of course being someone who often taught land nav I always used the map, compass, pace count and terrain association then checked the GPS. Heck in the mid 80’s I mostly stopped using the Army Issue Lensetic compass and protractor in favor of the Silva Ranger and was told that I’d loose my navigation skills because I could set my Ranger to account for the G-M angle (deviation). Then there are those who will never get. Had a LT once who couldn’t land nav. Got himself a GPS and I swear he couldn’t find his buttocks with two GPS’s. He got promoted, but that’s another story.

Final word. Floating a GPS to the surface will be a pain. I think enough of a pain that people who have it in them to navigate will do so. Those who can/will not navigate will either surface and look around or will be willing to go through the trouble to send a GPS to the surface in their place.

PS. One time (expecting to find cool spots) I put my GPS in a float and towed it around behind me. Plan was to surface and get readings. Didn’t find anything worth making a trip to the surface.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]