Morays and horn sharks...where are you diving?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NightDiver on January 25, 2002 at 10:43:02:

In Reply to: Moray Eels posted by seahunt on January 24, 2002 at 13:54:36:

As someone who grew up swimming and diving in SoCal, I agree with the original post that these animals aren't as easy to find as they once were. But, I have logged 20+ night dives since the beginning of lobster season and have seen two or three morays on every dive. Maybe it's because I am really crawling the reefs and looking into every hole or maybe it's just where I am diving. I can't tell you how many legal bugs I've had to pass up because of the big moray sharing the same hole.

Anyway, if you want morays, dive the reefs around Seal Rock in Crescent Bay. You don't have to go much deeper than 20' and, if you dive at night, you'll probably find one or two out and about. I love watching them swim.

Also, found a great spot for horn sharks the other night. Probably saw 20 - 30 juveniles and five or six fully grow ones. Actually never seen that many in one place before. Big Rock in Malibu. Access to the entry point is a bit tough and parking is limited, but the dive is easy and the depth is never much more than 15' or 20'.

DSAO,

NightDiver

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]