Keys to gear cleaning: Keeping Divers Flu away

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Maddiver on February 06, 2002 at 08:51:43:

In Reply to: Gear Cleaning posted by Robert on February 05, 2002 at 19:22:43:

Keep your gear wet until you clean it, even if it is salt water that it is soaking in (keeps salt from drying onto reg and crystalizing which almost necessitates use of some type of cleaning agent). Most cleaning agents dry out O-rings, mouth pieces and hoses...a no no especially if you don't have annual (which I don't recommend but I am a realist that this occurs and is your own perogative). Soak in freshwater only, asap after using. Get a pony or 30-40 cu ft bottle to put your regs on and crack the valve to pressurize. Soak in 55 gal drum (you can put whole 80 or 72 or whatever in these drums at the same time or substitute for pony/30). The reason people get mildew is simply that they don't spend the extra time drying their gear in a well ventilated environment. I used to use a closeline followed by a rub down with a towel and removal of face plate to get diaphram in 2nd stage (very important) moisture free. Take your towel and wipe the inside of the 2nd out (carefully). Your gear will thank you and you will never get the 'divers flu' or sore throat again.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]