love them no matter what?

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 19, 2002 at 07:32:20:

In Reply to: sea lions posted by tecdiver on April 18, 2002 at 19:53:36:

You are a good man tecdiver! I love them too! Over the last few years i have made over 50 trips to Nicolas and i have swam with 20-50 pups many times and they are an absolute delight! They are so sweet with eachother, always touching noses and putting their flippers around each other in obvious affection. They are among the most social animals on earth.

Within every animal population some individuals will emerge as the bold warriers. I believe those particular ones are genetically predisposed to be territorial and agressive to intruders. (seahunt?) We have to understand that many of the sea lions along the coast have experienced much harassment at the hands of humans, particularily fishermen. They are definitely smart enough to know where their threat and competition come from.

On my last dive at Nic, i was ascending with my camera in both hands extended out from my chest and a pup saw the 'hoop' and much to my chagrin, he swam right through it! It was great fun. That is a place where the sea lions don't get much human contact. They haven't experienced the harassment like the ones along the coast have. I have had a few blow bubbles at me, but never any discernible agression.

They play with such exuberance, there is no mistaking that they love to have fun. When the swell is just right at the sandspit, they fly out of the backs of the waves and take on a pose that is absolutely hysterical. They get scratch and definitely go for hang time!

After being driven to near extinction by fur traders, we are very lucky to have them in our waters.

Glad you care about them tecdiver!

Brad

loves the sea

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]