Chris, Check out this comprhehensive summary. (+)

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Perry Cerro Gordo on May 01, 2002 at 10:14:25:

In Reply to: Re: Here's the links Chris. Calm down, ok? And quit calling me a liar. posted by Chuck Tribolet on May 01, 2002 at 09:41:36:

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilreis/defamation-in-cyberspace.html

As an aside, I really don't see all that much in the diverlink article that could make PADI all that upset. That being said, most of us agree that in the "old days" most beginning scuba participants came from a background more or less defined by our skin diving skills. I see that this is sorely lacking in todays entry level scuba students. General watermanship skills are, for the most part seriously lacking on Day One in the pool. Nevertheless, students are on scuba after the lunch break. Apparently, the major training agencies don't require water fundamentals to be a prerequisite for certification.

Maybe they're right and those of us that think differently are wrong. As a longtime major training agency course director said to me once.."If the training requirements are in fact too low, You'd see far more divers washed up on the rocks or at the bottom dead"

But for me, it seems like far too many divers escape the dive by the skin of their teeth.

Perry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]