Re: Backplate and wing report

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on May 13, 2002 at 09:31:44:

In Reply to: Re: Backplate and wing report posted by tecdiver on May 12, 2002 at 22:52:51:

Trim? I'm still not at all sure about this trim stuff. I'm not sure I want to be trim. Trim sounds fine if you're on a scooter, in a cave, in a wreck or swimming above a reef. I prefer to be swimming in a reef and so I'm at whatever angle the reef is. The reef is not trim. In this sense, I am imitating the animal that is best adapted to the kelp reef, the Sea Otter. Otters do not swim trim and they're not designed to swim trim. They're designed to be agile and to be able to move in any direction they want. Sure, sometimes I'm just swimming straight over the reef and I just want to cruise over it evenly, but my old BC was fine for that. When over the reef, I usually am head down... like an otter. Actually, I've been doing some experimenting with swimming in a way that you would probably never think of and it sure ain't trim, but if I can figure out how to do it, I will be able to move through the reef far more effectively for my activities. Thinking about it, I've seen films of dolphins swim that way. In the original post, I mentioned trying some strange flips. I got the idea from watching a parachute photographer. Now if only I can make it work underwater.
I'm glad you like trim, but it is not necessarily what I want. Before you bother to criticize me, swim with the me over a reef and try to keep up or come free diving with me in rough water. You may see techniques for moving through the water that you've never seen before.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]