Overweighting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI_2 on May 15, 2002 at 11:06:16:

In Reply to: Re: You're probably right posted by Kendall Raine on May 15, 2002 at 10:43:38:

Overweighting is a common crime committed by many dead divers because they dived beyond their training and experience and they were overweighted.

If you survive GUE tech training then your weighting will probably be perfect. You might end up with other inherent problems, like wings too small to manage a major diving catastrophy involving your buddy/buddies, but you wont be overweighted.

It takes longer to learn the subtleties of proper weighting if you train with a non-GUE agency. And that is where the difference between Halcyon gear and OMS gear comes in. If you die in OMS gear, you probably tried something that you werent yet fully trained to do.

I dont know if anyone has ever died in Halcyon gear. We had a local guy get Type I DCS in Halcyon gear while diving with his DIR buddies. So I suppose anything is possible, even in Halcyon gear, even with DIR buddies. Statistically its mostly just a matter of time before we have more data on that.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]