Precision, Accuracy, Significant Figures, and You. A lame guide.

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by h on May 21, 2002 at 12:50:14:

In Reply to: Re: Matching the profile posted by TDI_2 on May 21, 2002 at 11:29:07:

First, I probably abused the word "computer" since I leave mine set in guage mode, making it more of a glorified bottom timer.
Accuracy, Precision, and Significant Figures. I, as an ex field monkey, get tickled pink by desk jocks and accountants who try to make applications to the real world.
The tables are run in minutes. The surface interval pressure group stuff can run into hours. And we won't even get into the built-in slob insurance. Modern dive computers allow you to "bend" yourself on the tables with almost every dive. Why sweat the minutia?
What Art asked was how do folks who dive with computers equate them to table-based pressure groups for backup. I gave two answers, one of depth averaging, the other of back-guessing based on RNT cheating. Why complicate things? You're trying to be precise with a wild-ass guess correlation to a statistical method of codifiying a wild-ass guess of a model about a complex physical and physiological system. How many decimal places do you want?

"I bring you these 15, errrr, 10 commandments" --Mel Brooks

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]