Re: Where would you put Marine Protected Areas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on June 23, 2002 at 10:20:33:

In Reply to: Where would you put Marine Protected Areas? posted by John H. Moore on June 22, 2002 at 10:24:35:

I feel that divers need some reserved places where they could enjoy the benefits that fishing restrictions would offer. I am not a fisherman and enjoy underwater photography. In 12 years of diving thoughout the world I've seen the differences in the fish/invertebrate behavior and population, that occurs in protected areas. I would like some places where I don't have to worry about fishing line or being accidently shot by someone with a spear gun. California is the only place in the world I've ever been were you can find a beautiful large lingcod, win its confidence for a few photographs, and have someone waiting behind you with a spear gun.

1. Italian Gardens - Too many nit wits have speared black sea bass, accidently or on purpose. Giant Sea Bass like this spot and they should be able to use it without the possiblity of harm.
2. Blue Caverns - Special because of its steep walls, tunnels, and Gorgonian dominated environment.
3. Ship Rock - A variety of marine life gravitates to this area. The steep walls and currents offer a variety habitats for marine life to prosper. The sight of schooling fish here is nothing short of breathtaking.
4. Bird Rock - Offers some of the best visibility on a consistent basis. Divers could easily observe any changes that restrictions would bring.
5. LionHead - Shrimp, squid, nudibranchs, and even fireworms like this spot.
6. Eagle Reef - Good site offering a variety of depths. The currents here provide a lot of nutrients for a lot of critters. The reef is covered with zoanthid anemonies (one of the best colonies that I've seen), nudibranchs, eels, lobster, etc.
7. Indian Rock - Beautiful schools of jacks, etc. Big lobsters successfully make it through lobster season but come out at other times of the year for photographs. Black sea bass also like this spot.
8. Santa Barbara Island - The sea lions are the closest thing we have to a "stingray city". Those pups need pleanty of food available.
9. Some areas of San Clemente Island. Although I am not as familiar with some of the dive sites here, this island offers divers the best visibility in the area. Purple hydrocoral, even butterfly fish live here.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Elaine

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]