I think so...

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on July 02, 2002 at 13:46:17:

In Reply to: Re: Does learning take place? posted by Tribes on July 02, 2002 at 12:34:38:

It was August of 1975 when I did my original SCUBA certification. I still remember doing the emergency ascent. I remember how surprised I was at the amount of air that I exhaled. I remember thinking how easy it would be to embolize if I ever held my breath while ascending. It is a lesson that stuck with my for almost 27 years. I doubt that simply reading about it in a book, or doing a swim across the pool pretending that it was going up, would have stuck with me for all this time.

Is it a dangerous thing? Yes. Is it a manageable risk? I think so. A well anchored ascent line for the instructor to use is a must IMHO to ensure that the ascent can be stopped if the student stops exhaling.

From my own experience, I think it is a good lesson and probably helps to drive home the point about breathing and breathholding. So to me it is about more than just how to do the ESA.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]