Re: What are you saying?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eagle Ray on July 02, 2002 at 17:05:50:

In Reply to: What are you saying? posted by Wayne on July 02, 2002 at 11:30:29:

Wayne-

Of course it is safer to avoid doing something that can be potentially dangerous (as it was proven this weekend) at a time when it is not abolutely necessary. The method of slowly ascending with a regulator still in your mouth or swiming horizontally to simulate the technique is more than enough.

I was certified about 12 years ago and was taught the true technique, however I do not see any point in subjecting others to do something that is not necessary. A combination of good classroom lectures and using these newer methods are more than enough. A student who is not paying attention or can't remember something as important as an ESA should maybe not be diving? Or at least needs a refresher course.

As a student diver one does not realize the severity a diving accident can have. They are forced to put themselves into situations that they do not fully understand the possible consequences of. And dive shops open themselves up for potential law suits which could have been easily avoided.

A lot of the comments on this board express this "I did it so they have to do it" attitude. Give me a break! Too much of this macho diver crap is being pushed nowadays. This ain't a fraternity my friends.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not aware of OW classes ever simulating an accidently loss of your weight belt at 60 feet. Of course I remember being taught things like empty your BC and arch your self backwards while flailing your arms and legs out to slow your acsent. I'm sure there are things you remember relating to emergency situations which you did not have to actually do in class. Am I wrong?

Actual ESA's in OW training are just not necessary. And yes, there are many shops not requiring this anymore on the ocean dives.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]