Re: Beach Diving/clarifying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 09, 2002 at 12:04:10:

In Reply to: Re: Beach Diving Culture posted by Jim Hoffmann on July 09, 2002 at 10:01:25:

Jim Hoffman said: "Ken I think that by not teaching beach diving you are doing your students a disservice . . ."

Again to be clear, I didn't say we don't offer it. I simply said we don't offer it as part of our BASIC class.

Look at it this way, if you're only going to do 4-6 dives with them over two diving days, and you'd like them to not only be competent by the end of the dives but also really turned on to diving, do you think a day at the beach and a day on the boat is going to do that as well as two days of boat diving?

And also, IMHO, we simply can't teach them 100% of the things they need to know in a basic class. There's nothing wrong with beach diving. I just think it's something that can wait until AFTER the basic class is completed and that they can approach it as a certified diver.

(Like people will be able to do this Saturday, 9AM-Noon during the monthly Reef Seekers FREE Beach Diving class for certified divers.)
:-)

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]