Re: Learning to Spearfish: What's the best way.

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on July 15, 2002 at 14:43:36:

In Reply to: Learning to Spearfish: What's the best way. posted by Gregg on July 15, 2002 at 13:51:42:

So you want to learn the way of the spear.
Telephone fishing... reach out and touch someone. .... They always bite my bait....
You ought to look at the freediving list, but I'm afraid I can't give you an URL for that.
There is a lot on spearfishing on my site at www.diver.net/seahunt, but you have to look for it there.
Look at Central Coast Adventures With Dale or the other Central Coast essays for discussions of spearfishing.
Note that the best way to learn spearfishing if to do it free diving. Besides, if you're not blowing bubbles, the fish don't know what you are.
Do a lot of beach diving. Where are you near for that? Malibu and PV are OK for that and farther north are better, but some other areas aren't too good anymore.
Check into boats that go longer range. There is more hunting done at the outer islands.
It's a fun sport, but takes a lot of practice. Over fishing has also made game pretty thin these days. That will make it harder to learn.
Know your Fish and Game regulations. They aren't even perfectly clear at the moment.
Don't learn by shooting a bunch of small sheepheads.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]