Re: BBS user poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on July 24, 2002 at 09:40:37:

In Reply to: BBS user poll posted by Chris on July 23, 2002 at 18:25:21:

Part of the problem is the subjective nature of what is "related" to California diving. As an editor, you're a referee and the greatest sin for a referee is inconsistency. A trip report about a three day to San Mig is obviously topical, but what about equipment issues, decompression issues, training issues or other issues absent a specific or unique California connection? The fact is the topics on this BBS range all over the place as it is. A strict interpretation of the California only rule would force deletion of most of the posts on here.

Seems to me another problem you face is, while most of the regulars are California divers, many also travel and have meaningful dive experiences in so doing. They want to share those experiences and resent being denied the opportunity.

At the end of the day, by narrowing the BBS to California related content only, I think you dramatically increase the burden on you and the other editors to maintain consistency and fairness. If you stick to a simpler standard (e.g. no profanity, no non-diving related topics, no personal attacks, etc.) I think you would lessen the sense some people feel that the editors edit out of a personal ax. Profanity is profanity. It's objective. A personal attack can be trickier, but most of it on here is pretty blatant anyway. With a simpler standard, and an easier task, you might be able to do with fewer editors, as well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]