Re: OK Karl

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tribes on July 31, 2002 at 14:37:47:

In Reply to: Re: From one California Sockpuppet to Another posted by TDI_2 on July 31, 2002 at 10:57:48:

OK Karl, here is what I do with my basic class.
OW..Dive #1 is a beach skindive. This is the first time in the ocean for many. It is also the first time with a full wetsuit for many. I do a real skindive, we send about an hour and half doing exit and entry training and skindiving. I also do a weight check and allot of surface BC inflation work.
Doing a real skindive solves many of the problems that you may incounter on the first scuba.
I like to spead the OW work over 3 or 4 weeks. This gives the students more time think about the dives and to have pool session between the dives.
There is nothing wrong with having a few slates. In fact a new instructor should have everything written down on the slates before hand. I don't use slates, but I have been doing this for 27 years.
I think that the order of thing are pretty well layed out for you in your instructor guide (the order has not really changed in the last 27 years, just the AV's).
Divers shouldn't smoke. Tec diver really shouldn't smoke. I think the CO is more of a problem then anything else.
I think that the kids need to be 12 and older.
And the other board is scubadivernet.com.
Have fun
Tribes

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]