Re: SockPuppets & Email Registration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rm on July 31, 2002 at 14:55:37:

In Reply to: SockPuppets & Email Registration posted by Eagle Ray on July 31, 2002 at 11:05:30:

I once had a very popular BBS (25000 unique hits a day and averaged over 500 post a day) and found that freedom of speech is not free. No matter how detailed the FAQ and warnings are allowing someone to post an opinion can get you to court and the trend is, you will lose. Take it from someone who went down that road. It sucks…

As the moderator of a BBS, you have a responsibility to; Ensure that the content on your site is legal, is not slander, does not offend groups or individuals (this was a fuzzy one) is not a verbal attack and is not copyrighted information (ie. Internal memos or clipped information form articles.

With this guideline one would never set out to run a board. It is like this. If any of the offended or violated groups or individuals decides to sue; you stand a very good chance of loosing regardless of the warnings. That is unless you track the users and can identify them when you get the subpoena. This is the only way to cover your self. Be willing to turn over your offending users contact information.

Not worth it to me anymore. I did not turn over the users and it cost a bundle just to fight and prove the first amendment right was right even thou I lost.

My settlement and the details of the companies that sued me are sealed. Those of you, who know me, know what the site name was. I can’t say it. I lost everything around the site just to prove I was right.

I share this with all because; if we as users keep our content reasonable we will not experience the wrath of a nasty suit.

Robert M.

Oh… to make this a California Scuba Diving related post.
The message above is from a California SCUBA Diver that is posting on a California SCUBA BBS and the content is relevant to the California SCUBA BBS members and moderators.

I for one want to see this board stay up. Maybe it is time to run it with registered users.

http://www.ciec.org/
http://free.freespeech.org/unlimitedfreedom/

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]