Re: Best/Worst Stories

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eagle Ray on August 02, 2002 at 17:52:50:

In Reply to: Best/Worst Stories posted by Ken Kurtis on August 02, 2002 at 11:43:50:

Best Dive: (North Coronado Island, Mexico)

To this day one of my most memorable dives was on a calm day on the seaward side of North Coronado Island. The sea was like a piece of glass and the viz was nothing short of amazing. As we made our giant strides off the Bottom Scratcher, about 40-50 seal lions lounging on the rocks followed our lead. We stayed shallow and spent a good hour and a half playing with these curious creatures. They tugged on our fins, played catch with a sea cucumber, and one young pup allowed us to gently rub the top of his head and neck. He would then ever so gently grab our hands in his mouth, like a dog at home would, careful not to hurt his new friends. It was a truely amazing dive topped off by spectacular viz and an incredible reef.

Of course living and diving in California has provided many other incredible experiences, but I will cut it off here....

Worst Dive: (Table Top Reef off Solona Beach)

It was my first dive after my OW class. I was a bit nervous being my first real dive and all, rolled off the zodiac and couldn't see the end of my nose the viz was so bad. Spent the dive chasing around these other three guys who were hunting for something. I was only 12 at the time and new to diving so I didn't really pay attention to what they were after. Whatever they were looking for they were swimming as if they were trying to win gold. I quickly was out of breath, my mask was fogged up and leaking, eyes were stinging, and I panci quickly started to set in as I felt like my reg wouldn't give me enough air. Next thing I knew the other three were gone and I was alone.

I stayed where I was for a minute and caught my breath and calmed myself down. No one ever came back for me. I went to the surface to look for them as I had been taught and they never surfaced. I eventually went back down, spent about 10 minutes alone straining for a glimpse of anything, but with no success. I then returned to the zodiac, lost my weight belt trying to get back in by myself and decided to just wait in the water.

About 30 minutes later the other three made their way back to the zodiac and asked where I had been, not seeming in the slightest been concerned. The whole event turned out to be a pretty miserable experience.

Of course the next dive a few weeks later was great and I have never stopped diving since.

Strangest Dive: (North Sea- Eyemouth, Scotland)

Went with a local Scottish dive club from Edinburgh to a town called Eyemouth on the North Sea coast. About a minute into the dive a couple small green balls floated by my face. Then a few more. Next thing I knew there were clouds of these green UFO's passing by us. They were alll over us and our gear. I reached out and grabbed a handful and they turned out to be green peas! Thousands upon thousands of them!

Apparently, there was a nearby food processing plant or something like that, and whether by accident or on purpose literally tons of green peas had been dumped into the ocean. I assume it was how the company was disposing of out dated food? Either way, it was a strange sight indeed and we were given a great show as the fish went insane trying to fill their bellies.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]