Have you seen the most recent PADI insurance rates?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI_2 on August 05, 2002 at 09:53:32:

In Reply to: Interesting article / advertisement for PADI SCUBA Training. posted by rm on August 05, 2002 at 09:00:28:

$600+ for an OWSI and $350 for a D/M.

Wonder why the rates are so high this year?

When I called PADI's insurance company a few months ago (V&B) and told them I would be diving with NAUI divers from now on, I asked them, what did I need to to regarding separate waivers for leading NAUI divers on tours with my PADI insurance? They (V&B) told me, why dont you just get their NAUI insurance instead?

Good idea. The NAUI blanket coverage policy for instructing costs half of what V&B is currently charging.

Of course, if you hang out with NAUI professionals long enough, they will want you to shed your PADI ways, and become NAUI certified just like them.

Anybody considering doing so better get into shape. NAUI has a 900 yard swim requirement, in full snorkel gear in the ocean, that you need to accomplish within 18 minutes. Plus a skin diving ditch and recovery. Plus a scuba bailout, which is a donning exercise underwater.

PADI watermanship skills are quite good by the time you get to the leadership levels, although NAUI requires a few more things before they will award you with an Instructor certification. And PADI has their own fair share of crossovers from NAUI, SSI, and YMCA.

PADI's marketing is formidable. Anyone who thinks they can beat PADI by badmouthing them is mistaken. The only way you are going to beat PADI is by being a better diving instructor or divemaster, and by teaching new divers to be better divers, than PADI does.

That should not be difficult to do for a NAUI diver, since NAUI standards are guidelines that are supposed to be exceeded, not just met, and since NAUI standards meet or exceed all other standards. However, its all about working hard.

/s/ TDI_2
NAUI Active Status Instructor
TDI Technical Trimix Diver
PADI Divemaster

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]