Re: Beach entry question.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on August 07, 2002 at 22:23:12:

In Reply to: Beach entry question..... posted by Starfish [now the one and only :)] on August 07, 2002 at 20:51:45:

First, I recommend taking the R,R,& R course by the Greater LA Council of Divers mentioned below this post. You can never have too much guidence and knowledge. The price is right, too. Do not forget that Reef Seekers does free beach dives where you can get some practise and have your questions answered by experienced beach divers. Ok, now for my thoughts:

I think Eins is right on the money in his explanation of why you will want more than one technique in your dive bag since the conditions vary. He said it well.

I think the most important aspects entering and exiting in surf include having a reg in your mouth and your mask on, having no air in your BC, and mainting a willingness to crawl on the bottom on your hands and knees until you are past the breakers if anything goes wrong.

But that being said, last year I was introduced to a different way of entering by Rich at South Coast Divers. They enter the water with the fins ON their hands. The quickly walk out chest deep and, with air in the BC, turn on their backs and paddle out using the fins like oars. it sounds odd, but it works amazingly well. I was particularly impressed with the speed that I was able to get from dry sand to past the breakers. This speed made it easy to get out between sets.

There is more than one way to skin this cat.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]