A: When the guards say so...or when they leave.

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalDiver on August 08, 2002 at 12:24:24:

In Reply to: When's kosher to dive Little Corona? posted by CalDiver on August 07, 2002 at 15:43:23:

Well, never mind; called my friendly neighborhood Newport Beach Ocean Lifeguards' supervisor at 644-3044 and got the go-ahead, which was moot as the guards were off the beach at 7 anyway.

Slipped into the water for a lovely half hour or so, towards the rocky reefs on the left near the big arch, and MAN, happy healthy invertebrates were out in force. Some petulant octopuses, about fist-sized, a few lobsters wandering with impunity; the little purple urchins are everywhere, though, which makes me nervous. Good brown algaes, small gorgonia and lots of porifera-types. Fine upstanding examples of our state marine fish were guarding a number of bored-out holes -- some big guys out there, good terrain for that. 1-2' surf, and 10-15' viz at 20 feet. Surfaced as planned with three minutes to the 7:42 sunset and watched from the water; I'm now the unintended backdrop to four couples' engagement photos and one chick's bikini cheesecake shot. At least I smiled.

Guards reported diving is OK when swimmers are few -- this is a case by case q. to ask the acting guard -- or when beach is not guarded. Beach is "closed" at 10...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]