It's not just in the dive industry.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on August 12, 2002 at 09:46:19:

In Reply to: You guys are getting what you deserve posted by Tribes on August 12, 2002 at 08:50:19:

I have a competitor who decided to take our industry into price-driven madness. What we all sell for $12,000 they sell for $9,500. They is trying to turn these things into commodities.

Our company, like others in this industry maintains a lab where we help resolve customer problems and assist them in applications. We have telephone support available. We maintain a staff of technicians who can come to the field to assist in problems that arise. The cost of maintaining this capability of pre- and post-sale support is amortized over the sales and that is whay we must well at higher price.

The company selling the cheap stuff offers no support whatsoever. Our custoemrs want us to match their price and still be able to support them like they have come to expect from our industry. It is maddening.

The same this is happening to the dive industry. I am glad that more divers are learnign and buying gear. I am saddened that many are being run through newbie mills and get their equipment from places of no support. I have three main shops I buy from. I enjoy asking their opinions and expereience with different gear before I buy. If the shop does not have an experienced diver to talk to and/or if I can't talk to the person who will have my reg apart on the bench, I do not want to do business there. I think it is cheaper in the long run to pay a higher price than to have a higher cost associated with a lower initial price.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]