Nitrox Poll: Extent of your basic Nitrox class?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on August 12, 2002 at 13:14:23:

I would like to hear from Nitrox certified divers (basic Nitrox class) what the extent of their class was, specifically asking for the depth of education as MHK points it out in the quote copied below.

So, the question is: In the two Nitrox dives following the classroom session, ...
Who was specifically trained in buoyancy skills?
Who was specifically trained in emergency procedures in case of a convulsing diver?
Which agency certified you?

MHK wrote: ... I'll make the big leap of faith and assume that even in this sham of a class that you paid for that perhaps he introduced the most dangerous elimate of diving on an elevated oxygen mix, which is Oxygen Toxicity. * In the unlikley event* ;-) that he failed to discuss the issue I'll take this opportunity to point out that if a diver suffers an oxygen toxicity hit underwater he will convulse, and if the buddy isn't trained in the porper rescue technique it is very likley, if not an absolute, that the convulsing diver will die. That's a very simplistic explanation of the effects of oxygen toxicity. So can you, or that genius instructor of yours explain how in hell you can train, certify and advocate a nitrox class and not require diving, and the practising of the most fundamental life saving skill that is directly related to the very core of the class???? Furthermore, don't you think that buoyancy control is a pretty important skill as it relates to a diver that if he exceeds the MOD [ that's the maximum operating depth of a given mix in case dear old James didn't get around to covering that] he could very well die?? So God forbid that TDI requires that a diver get in the water to evaluate or practice this skill..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]