Re: Plunder and Pillage

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melvin on August 15, 2002 at 15:00:46:

In Reply to: Re: Landing Craft off Redondo ......a correction. posted by AADIVER on August 14, 2002 at 23:09:21:

I am not a wreck diver - yet. I would like to dive a few wrecks one day soon. When I do, it would be nice if there were something there to see. Not just the remains of what could not be pried off.

The photograph of the divers holding their trophies is really a sad commentary. I mean really, look at what they brought up? What on earth are they going to do with a grill and some old tubing? It is a trophy, and its only value is in saying “I got that off such and such wreck”. This is a kind of a proof that you were there type of thing. In the process, you leave the wreck you enjoyed diving, something less for the next diver to enjoy.

I am a subscriber to the "look, but don't touch" philosophy. The "ocean is going to destroy it anyway so I am just saving it" just doesn't hold sway. That is like saying disease, weather and age are going to kill the redwoods anyway, so what does it hurt if I log them? Yes, eventually all things will crumble and disappear, but why not leave them for others to enjoy until that natural process happens. But that is my own philosophy, and I cannot impose it on others.

I will also say thatI agree with the comment of others, that the Wreck Divers so closely guard their coordinates of the wreck sites speaks volumes. If what they are doing is nothing more than speeding up nature (a shame in itself), then why not share the information with other divers? Are they afraid that others will likewise destroy the wreck with their crowbars, taking anything they can crowbar off the wreck?

In the final analysis, I can only say, I will enjoy looking at the beauty of the sea, and the wonder of any wreck I eventually dive, but I will only take memories and leave only bubbles. Now lobsters in season, that IS another story.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]