you may be absolutely right

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl S. on September 26, 2002 at 11:04:06:

In Reply to: Re: Modern Instructor's veiws!! posted by Jim Hoffmann on September 25, 2002 at 19:09:06:

I worry too, whenever I supervise an ESA drill. This is one of those "for real" times when I am prepared to die for or with my student, and it sends chills to my bones.

You may be absolutely right. Maybe the ESA drill should be dropped from NAUI standards. Or maybe it should only be taught and drilled in the pool, and not in the open water.

Since you are both NAUI and PADI, Jim, and since your membership numbers are so very impressively low, with only 4 digits, I naturally assumed that you had not only been around NAUI for a long time, but also around PADI for a long time as well.

It sounds like you really still care about NAUI, and NAUI's standards. Whether the NAUI standards change, of course, is a decision that should be made jointly, among all the NAUI members. And I dont know what the right answer is. Youre right, Im still too new at this instructor thing.

In the meantime I will keep teaching ESAs, even with the double risk to student and instructor. By practicing ESAs two or three times in the pool first, and by making sure our depth in the open water for the ESA drill is precisely 15 ft 1 inches, and by paying very careful attention to the student, and keeping all of my options open, I hope to minimize the risk for the student as well as to the instructor. :)

/s/ Karl S.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]