Locals Only!

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalDiver on October 22, 2002 at 12:24:55:

In Reply to: We saw you guys out there posted by Scuba Fever Divers on October 21, 2002 at 14:41:46:

"Some of my dive Buddies are agitated when they see the Island Diver parked on the dive spots we have frequented for many years"

I always wonder where the "locals only" attitude starts. (Actually, assuming those buddies are even locals... are they? Or do they have to drive a bit to get to "their" own territory?) It's really the minority of divers, most are pretty social in my experience. But, do those agitated folks you mentioned promise to dive only in the spots they've staked out as their own, or do they ever drift into other divers' staked-out territories? When they do, do they politely request permission of the local divers before entering? I would assume so, based on their own isolationist attitudes.

All sarcasm aside, I'd never give away my secret lobster hidey-hole coordinates, but somehow I haven't quite gathered the hubris needed to believe myself singularly entitled to any area of the ocean.

Not asking you to defend their attitudes -- just wondering how they start?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]