Re: A couple of questions....

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on November 02, 2002 at 17:42:38:

In Reply to: A couple of questions.... posted by msblucow on November 02, 2002 at 16:02:54:

"Steve, since you're a member of the AOP's scientific diver program (for the record, so am I) do you consider yourself one of the "PROS" who should be allowed into these areas? "

No Marta. I was referring to Professionals like a Marine Biologist or similar and professional Photographers when they are needed. You might have seen my previous post that mentions the non-MLPA's should be our area of concern now.

"Also, if you feel so strongly about not diving the MLPA's for recreational purposes, is it your intention not to dive these areas in the future (which would include abstaining from dive trips or boycotting dive boats that plan to dive the new reserves)?"

I glad we are having this discussion and I feel even stronger now that scuba divers shouldn't be allowed into the new established MLPA's if they are going to produce as designed. The sweeping anchor chain comes to mind. Have you ever noticed a boat change positions in the water by 180 degrees? Well think about how much area the anchor chain dragged across and what just happened to the newly establishing invertebrate life or eggs in the new reserve. I think we should try to make these reserves the best they be and not trash them. Let's start by staying out of them and seeing how they do. I hope whoever is in charge will deny access to all right away. In the meantime possibly boat Captains will ban together and agree not to take divers there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]