Me, 1/3, my wife, the 'other' 1/3 + Love of diving!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on February 24, 2003 at 11:30:39:

In Reply to: Re: Diver Survey - Why Did You Keep Diving posted by jlyle on February 24, 2003 at 08:59:43:

We got certified together, and I continue diving (both SCUBA, and free diving), and can't imagine my life without.

My wife, dives on 'warm water' vacations mostly, with the occasional Catalina 'underwater park' diving.

We bought our gear shortly after certification, which I certainly feel is a big factor in continuing to dive. On MANY occasions, I hauled off my gear to the beach for a shore dive, just to find out that the conditions make it impossible to dive with SCUBA (heavy) gear. Often, on those days, I would put my geat away in the car, and do a free dive.

Diving (especially beach diving) is often not easy, but it's always a lot of fun. Even on bad vis days.... There is ALWAYS something to 'concentrate' on, and when the vis gets REAL BAD, I practice U/W navigational skills!

Growing up in California, and LONG before I got certified, I had always been ABSOLUTELY FACSINATED with the ocean, and had a great love of watersports. I spent many of my weekends (and many weekdays) swimming, snorkling, and just playing in the surf. SCUBA allowed me to 'kick it up a notch' as emerald would say.

I love boat and island diving, but beach diving, especially when you own your own gear is SO accessible, and fun. I can be in the water, literaly within 30 minutes of the decision to dive. If the conditions are bad, no biggy. I don't have to pay for, and/or return any gear.

Most of my dives(95%+), beach or boat have been solo (I know, SHAME on me.....I will spank myself.).

As for my wife, carrying heavy gear to/from the beach, and surf entries are a bit much for her. She is also prone to sea sickness, so she does not get 'all she can' out of boat dives. Having to wear a 7 mil suit also cascades her problems. That is why she is mainly a warm water, vacation diver.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]