Re: how to check voluntary pumpout percentage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ack on April 30, 2003 at 08:28:31:

In Reply to: Re: how to check voluntary pumpout percentage posted by SteveK on April 29, 2003 at 10:12:00:

Jesus, do you have a boat? Or have you ever been on one?

First - 1 million registered boats in california?
Don't know where you got that number, the only info for registered vessels I found was less than 900,000. In california you have to register a newspaper if you fold it into a triangle and put it in the water. The number of registered vessels in California includes Jet Skis, Zodiacs, anything over 8 feet in length or anything that has a motor.

Second, - Doesn't the standard marine head flush direct without a holding tank?

You are not required to had a toilet on a boat, but if you do have one it must be connected to a MSD (Marine Sanitation Device) of which there are three :

A Type I MSD must macerate the sewage to no visible solids, and then reduce the bacteria count to less than 1,000 per 100 milliliters.

A Type II MSD macerates the sewage even finer so that the discharge contains no suspended particles and the bacteria count must be below 200 per 100 milliliters.

Type III MSDs are holding tanks. This is the MOST COMMON TYPE of MSD found on boats. These systems are designed to retain or treat the waste until it can be disposed of at the proper shoreside facilities.

Before you start blaming recreational boaters for California's water quality, I suggest you do a little research first.... One simple solution to the problem is to move out of state and lesson popluation load on California resources.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]